Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Ally is home again!

Ally was released from the hospital today. Her ANC count did not really go up, (as I thought) but the doctor let her go anyway since her fever had stayed below 101. She is taking a double dose of antibiotics at home and is due back in on Friday for more chemo. Yes, more chemo. So she will go a full two days before we are back downtown at the hospital again. About two hours after she got home, we had to head back out to a previously scheduled appointment for her wig. So that pretty much wore her right out. By the way, any guesses as to how much a wig costs? Her's is real hair, if that makes any difference for your guess. Oh yea, $598. Geezy. We did get a break on it, because there is a special fund that pays for them for children. Which is very nice. So we got it for half price. I just had no idea. And.....for the first time in a while, we had dinner at home. Together! Thank you Coach B and Miss Paula for bringing it over for us.

I have an opportunity to lay out there for anyone that is interested. Our loyal friend, who a lot of you already know, Larry Booher, started looking into bracelets for everyone to wear to support our brave girl. Awesome idea. After investigating, he found out that the color for leukemia is orange. I wanted them to say "Ally's Army" and have everyone wear them for her. I think she will see everyone wearing these and know that we are all behind her every step of the way. She has to fight the fight, but we will all be right there with her. I wear a Livestrong bracelet...I actually got it when my Dad had his cancer in 2002. When my Mom was diagnosed, I put it back on. I have never taken it off. When Mom passed away, they took her Livestrong bracelet off...and put it right onto me. So now I have three...not sure how long I will keep wearing the Livestrongs. But Ally's Army is not coming off until we beat this! Here is what they look like:

Sooooooo....Larry has kindly offered to manage the bracelets for us. We are asking a minimum donation of $3 per bracelet. He has both an adult size and a youth size. We have about 250 bracelets total, but who knows, we may need to order more! Every bit of that $3 is going to go to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. We are raising money for that organization and will also be doing a walk in Ally's name in October for the same charity. (More info on that later) I think they can be mailed pretty easily, if you kindly pay him for the stamp. His email address is booher1@sbcglobal.net I am not sure what this is going to do to his poor email account, but contact him soon and get your bracelet!!

They are also available at the Mills-Morgan offices at 3500 Pentagon Blvd, Ste 500 in Beavercreek. (the 5-story building behind Sam's Club) A limited number will also be on sale at the Clark golf outing (which I think might be this weekend). Brad Barnett should be able to help with that.

Thanks for stopping here to check on our brave Ally girl and for supporting her (and us) throughout this whole ordeal. We are thankful for all who have joined in Ally's Army.

11 comments:

  1. Wearing the bracelet every day! Lots of people ask me what it is for, and I briefly explain...which just shoots more prayers Ally's way which is awesome. Every time I look down and think of her hoping today went well and the next day will be even better. Glad she is home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow! How come there are no newborn sizes on the bracelets? That Booher is really slipping! We will absolutely be selling the bracelets this weekend at the Clark Foundation Golf Tourament for those attending. Love you guys, see ya tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a picture just like that going up on my blog (when I finally get back to it). Glad Ally is home! I have an extra thing of Gehl's here if you ever run out and need some...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Terri Barnett ShumakerJune 17, 2009 at 5:55 AM

    So glad she is home. Can't wait to get my bracelet. We are thinking of you all everyday and I feel so connected to you all through this blog. Thank you Janel for being so brave through all of this and for keeping this blog so that we can all in a sense be there with you. Your Mom is very proud of you I know and she is giving you this EXTRA strength that you need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Janel,
    Losing your mother at any age (yours or hers) is hard. And you are right there are times you JUST need your mother. Your mothr has left you with wonderful gifts that will give you strength to endure and to help Ally. Stay faithful and let her and God work through you. We pray for all of you every day. Stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  6. Janel -

    I am so glad that Ally is home. I check the blog every single day and you are so amazing to keep it updated so that everyone can see how she is doing. The bracelets are such a great idea - they will serve as a constant reminder to all of the fighters in Ally's Army. I too lost my mom at a young age and not a day goes by that I don't wish she were here with me - it is not a club that anyone wants to belong to - but like many others have said to you and you said yourself - she made you a STRONG woman - and your strength and perserverance is what will get you, Ally and your family to the other side of this.
    Take care of you and your beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea on the bracelets!

    I attended the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Man and Woman of the Year event last Friday. It was so beautiful. They raised over $250,000 that night alone! Vicki mentioned Ally in her speech. :) You guys should attend next year - it's always a Friday night in June at the Schuster Center.

    The Light the Night walk in the fall is awesome, too! I have been involved in that for years back in Indiana and Michigan.

    Count me in! Glad Ally is home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the wonderful daily updates. I know they are painful but it helps all of us. I have worn my Livestrong bracelet since I got my first one from my daughter, Jodi---before they were available on the internet. As you know, we lost John to multiple myeloma 14 years ago, so I know how those anniversaries are. I am not sure how many bracelets I have gone through, sometimes they break, but I have worn one almost everyday since the first day. I have it on right now. I would be honored to wear an Ally's Army bracelet. Our family is stronger because of John's 15 year fight, and I know your family is very strong because of your mom. We miss them both but know they are there fighting as well. Keep up the good work. One day at a time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved seeing the video post and hearing all of your voices!! Janel & Jerad you are such strong people to be able to share your stories with us while dealing with life's storms!We are praying for you
    I think this saying is perfect for your family as you go through this battle you continue to show such strength
    Though the physical body may be destroyed by disease, the spirit can remain triumphant. If disease has invaded your body, refuse to let it touch your spirit. Celebrate the happiness that friends are always giving. Make every day a holiday and celebrate just living!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Janel and Jerad,
    I finally got the nerve to join the blog site! I have been praying non stop daily for all of you. You are surrounding by so many who love and support the entire family. I know I said this a hundred times. . . . one day at a time.
    Love to all of you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad that you guys are at home. I hope things run smoothly for this next dose of chemo. Wonderful idea about the bracelets. We are behind Ally and every beautiful child with cancer. Thanks for your posts.

    ReplyDelete