Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Together again



Again I am delayed in writing. We had had a bit of a whirlwind month. The same day that Ally took her last chemo, I found out they had moved my Grandpa Jerry into hospice. This seems to follow my typical luck with things. He didn't last very long, which is probably a good thing, and passed away on September 22. I just got back from a trip back to Pennsylvania for his services.

Grandpa was a great man. One of those people that pretty much got along with everybody. He was an Irish Catholic and was always cracking a joke and was the "life of the party." In many ways, even by calling him Jerry, he reminds me of Jerad. He served in World War II and fought in the Battle of the Bulge. I am so proud of him for that and he earned not one, but two purple hearts. At his gravesite he was given full military honors including a six gun salute and the bugle playing Taps. I was doing alright until that song was played. That's a sad one.
I got through my third Eulogy in three years. 2009 I did it for my Mom. 2010 for my Grandma. 2011 for my Grandpa. I certainly hope I am done doing this task for a while.

Since this was my Mom's Dad, it brings back the pain all over again for me. Now, the whole side of that family is gone for me (except my Aunt who I remain close to.) Some of Mom's ashes even went with Grandpa, which was his wish. I can't help but smile a little bit thinking about him going through the gates into Heaven and seeing all his old friends...his golfing buddies, his hunting buddies....he was the last one standing at age 94! And of course seeing my Grandma again after losing her 10 months ago. And Mom. Oh how I wish I could go...just for a day and come right back.

So I found out I even have some blog readers in Pittsburgh...funny how people who have never met me can recognize me just from the blog and my pictures. Thank you all. And yes, I am going to keep doing this. There are many milestones in life to document and no reason to stop now.

Ally has turned the corner with her belly pain. Last Tuesday, when she went to the hospital for her antibiotic (no chemo!) they ran all sorts of tests again...xrays..etc. Nothing could be found. The doctor explained that he thought it was "functional stomach pain" Which he told us was a very real pain, not in her head, but caused by stress and transition. He said it happens all the time and there is not much you can do for it except try to keep her as busy as possible! He said a lot of the kids (and parents actually) go through post-traumatic stress disorder when the chemo is over. God help us with that. But just in the last few days she has stopped complaining of belly pain as the medication is leaving her system. Thank you God for that too.



I finished my Dayton Children's blog and they posted it up on their site. It was even featured on their home page which made me proud. You can finish reading what I originally posted here. I added a bit on her end of chemo party at the hospital and included what may be some of my favorite pictures EVER...her getting sprayed by blizzard spray with Dr B in the path too.


Check it out here:







3 comments:

  1. Loved loved Grandpa Jerry. Great man is right. Generous, fun-loving, kind and a war hero to boot. I'll always remember the big smile on his face when greeting us in Florida. And the nickname he gave me. :) Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so, so sorry for the lost of Grandpa Jerry. I know what a phenomenal man he was. Wow - what an honor to have earned 2 purple hearts. I will be praying for you during this tough time, dear one. Take comfort in knowing that Grandpa Jerry is at rest, he is with the Lord, and he is reunited with those he loved most. And - you will see him again. This separation is but temporary. Love you, girlie. Be good to yourself. XOXOX.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You truly did a wonderful job with the eulogy. The whole day was a memorable one. It was a celebration of his life, their marriage and your entire family.
    And I am honored to have been referred to in your blog as "readers in Pittsburgh."
    I am so glad I was able to be there.
    Lynn McEnery Clapp

    ReplyDelete