Friday, January 8, 2010

A little better

Ally made a turnaround today. I can tell she feels better and some of the people who saw her yesterday and then today were a bit shocked. Yesterday, if she was awake, she was pretty much crying in misery. Today, was almost normal...well as normal as it can be in the hospital setting. She did make me push her in circles all around the fourth floor today in her wheelchair. For about an hour and half straight. She was going stir crazy and I got some exercise, so its all good. I think this girl is gonna turn out to be a Mamaw just like her mother. She always wants to know what is going on and meet some new people. I swear someday when she is well she is gonna be the ambassador for that place.

She still has the bronchitis....they said it would probably take 3-5 days to see improvement there. It will not correct itself overnight and that is fine. Her chest xray showed some streaking, consistent with a virus, but then again she doesn't have any white blood cells to show up on an xray...so not sure how much value I give it. But the good news is that once her fever spiked at 3pm yesterday it never came back. It is so weird because they warn me that she could spike a fever with a blood transfusion....and she did, of course, it is Ally here afterall. But then it goes right away when she is done getting the transfusion...but it still "counts" as a fever and still requires a 48 hour admittance. Its confusing. Lots of this stuff is even confusing to me. Like why was her ANC at 910 and then a mere 7 days later it is sitting at 60? Usually it takes weeks for that to happen. No one knows. And lots of people ask me questions and I just have to say I don't know the answer. And really, no one knows the answers. That is what most people don't understand. The doctors don't have all the answers. They don't have all the solutions. They just do the best that they can with what they have to work with. I can usually accept that.

One thing that is new for us...they tested Ally's immunity level. I think this was called her immunoglobins. It came back low...no surprise there. So they gave her this infusion called IVIG (again, not sure what this is)...but the medicine is meant to boost her immunity. It is supposed to be good for kids who are in school, etc and can protect them so they don't catch every illness that comes around the corner. I am asking myself...why haven't they done this all along? Wouldn't it be beneficial to all these kids? I don't know....need to ask. And then someone said...how great would that be if they bottled that up and sold it and we could give it to all the kids at school??? I guess then it probably wouldn't work anymore. Anyway, I am having hopes that it helps our girl.

So....nothing grew in her blood cultures, her ANC went from 60 to 80, she hasn't had another fever, she is eating and drinking, she is no longer miserable...so if all continues as is then Dr B said she could go home tomorrow. PLEASE PLEASE let this be the case. Ally needs to be home and plus....Jerad and I would love to sit in our own house together tomorrow night and watch our Cowboys in the playoffs. I'm going to get my jersey out now just in case.

8 comments:

  1. Good news! So glad to know Ally had a better day today. She is such a tough little girl. She never lets anything get her down for long. What a fighter! You all are an amazing family, an inspiration to us all. I hope you get to enjoy a peaceful day at home tomorrow together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to hear this! It's amazing how much can change in just one day! Thankful it's for the better!

    Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy today was a better day. I didn't realize you were Cowboy fans. I may just have to stop reading. Just playing. Here's hoping you are on YOUR couch tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amanda and I are thrilled that Ally is feeling better..Amanda and Ally are very simialar, they always want to know what is goung on...I'm sooo glad we have met your family..These girls are fighters and I know in my heart that they will be back to the old Ally and Amanda.We are Bengals fans so we will want to watch that game but we will be checking in on the Cowboys and I hope both of our teams win and that you are in your OWN home..We could have a party in the hospital...LOL We do have a basketball game tonite at National Trail so we might not even get to watch the game..No matter I wish you all to be home and hope to see you soon..

    Much Love, The O'dells

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that Ally is feeling better. Hope you and Jerad have a great night with everyone safe and sound at home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear that Ally is better. What a girl, I am so proud of her. Please give her a hug & kiss for me. Tell her I will even root for the Cowboys for her.
    Love,

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad to hear Ally is on the upward swing. Still having trouble posting so you may not hear much from this corner of Ohio, but I am following along in silence...
    Rick will be delighted to know Ally and you are rooting for the Cowboys, Karen and Matt are rooting for the Colts, Don and I are rooting for the Bengals, and Ricky is wishing his team was in the playoffs!!!
    With all your family has been through this past year, rooting for a football team seems so superfluous, however - we all need the relief of a few mindless hours, don't we? Give Ally my love and keep some for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Go Ally, go!!! I was cheering when I read your post! Hope you can get some much needed relaxation and family time tonight :)

    ReplyDelete